From The Author

Hey Readers! If you are looking for some excitement and mystery, with a little adventure, you have come to the right place! 'The Mystery of M' Series is targeted toward teen to young adults who enjoy a good mystery/adventure. Be sure to click on "Comment" and leave me a note with your thoughts. Enjoy the site!

Sunday, January 24, 2021

How Long Should Editing Take?

This is a very important question and one that has several different ways to look at it. For those who are traditionally published, they might need to keep the timeline for editing in mind if they are pushing to finish by a deadline set by the publisher. I have a different tact. 

Since I am not traditionally published, I am only held by my own deadline. That is freeing to me because my life can get pretty busy at times and I do really want to finish my next book, but it frees me to take time and enjoy all the different things I am doing and not just my writing. If I was always pushed up against a deadline I don't think I would be giving my readers my best writing. I have too much pride in my writing for that.

Some people enjoy the push the publishers give them, but I only see that it could cause me to rush through some scenes that I might need to take more time to develop. 

I do a lot of my own editing. I write the book, then go back and reread it to edit to make sure it has the connotation I am meaning to be giving my readers. Once I do that, I send it to my other editors. See, I think of my editors as my readers as well. I don't want them to have a bad taste in their mouth from editing my books. I want them to have the drive to reread my book when it is in the finalized form. 

What are you editing styles? Do you use more than one depending on what you are working on? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments: